Request placement and release cars, submit and manage shipping instructions.
Submit Switch Requests
Switch requests are instructions to move cars from one place to another within the limits of an individual plant, industrial area or rail yard.
To submit a switch request, you must use one of the options below:
- ShipCSX: Submit requests online using the ShipCSX Inventory Management tool. Learn more
- ShipCSX Mobile App: Download the Apple or Android mobile App to request a switch. Learn more
- EDI: Submit plant switch instructions via an EDI 423 message. Learn more
Submit Shipping Instructions (Bill of Lading)
Shipping instructions give us the details we need to move your shipment.
- ShipCSX: Use the shipping instructions tool to create and manage shipping instructions. Learn more
- ShipCSX Mobile App: Download the Apple or Android mobile App to submit shipping instructions. Learn more
- EDI: Submit shipping instructions using the EDI 404. Learn more
Change or Cancel Shipping Instructions
- ShipCSX: Use ShipCSX shipping instructions to change or cancel active shipping instructions, no matter how you originally transmitted them. It's quick and easy, and you will receive confirmation when a change or cancellation has been successfully submitted. Learn more
- EDI: Correct shipping instructions using the EDI 404 ZC1. Void shipping instructions with EDI 998. Learn more
Request a Diversion or Reconsignment
To change the destination of your shipment, contact our customer service department.
- ShipCSX: Use the ShipCSX Diversions tool to request a diversion. Learn more
- Fax diversions or reconsignment instructions to the Diversion Desk (24/7), at 1-888-336-7623.
- To phone in a diversion, call Customer Service (7 am to 6 pm, Monday - Friday) at 1-877-ShipCSX (1-877-744-7279), options 2-1-7. You also must fax written instructions to the Diversion Desk at 1-888-336-7623.
Return Empty Hazmat Cars to Origin (Hazardous Auto-Reverse Program)
Hazardous material cars, whether full or empty, cannot be moved without shipping instructions.
The Hazardous Auto-Reverse (HAR) Program automatically generates shipping instructions for empty hazmat cars that are returning to their origin, when you submit an empty pull/release request via ShipCSX, EDI, or API. CSX Transportation customers are automatically enrolled in this program. HAR generates empty-return shipping instructions, hazardous residue waybills, based on the previous loaded waybill information for moving the car. You can receive an electronic copy of the 49 CFR compliant waybill via ShipCSX Trace tools. This waybill must be retained at your facility location for the period of time designated in the current 49 CFR.
You must review the waybill for inaccurate or incomplete information. If there are discrepancies, please notify CSX by creating a ShipCSX Shipment Problem Resolution case. If you are not able to obtain a copy of the HAR empty waybill in ShipCSX within two hours of release, please submit shipping instructions via EDI or ShipCSX as soon as possible.
EXCEPTIONS NOT COVERED BY HAR PROGRAM which require shipping instructions to be sent to CSXT
- Destination of the empty car is other than the origin of the load
- Car has been cleaned and purged of hazardous material
- Billing date of inbound loads that exceed 180 days for private equipment or 30 days for railroad equipment are no longer available to create HAR billing
- If loaded shipment is rejected by consignee
For assistance, call Customer Service at 1-877-ShipCSX (1-877-744-7279), options 2-1-5.
Get Customs and Security assistance with shipments to Canada and Mexico, ensuring that your transborder shipments are secure and delay-free.
Customs and Security