Request placement and release cars, submit and manage shipping instructions.
Submit Switch Requests
Switch requests are instructions to move cars from one place to another within the limits of an individual plant, industrial area or rail yard.
To submit a switch request, you must use one of the options below:
- ShipCSX: Submit requests online using the ShipCSX Plant Switch tool. Learn more
- ShipCSX Mobile App: Download the Apple or Android mobile App to request a switch. Learn more
- EDI: Submit plant switch instructions via an EDI 423 message. Learn more
- IVR (Interactive Voice Response): 1-877-ShipCSX (1-877-744-7279), options 2 – 1 – 2.
Submit Shipping Instructions (Bill of Lading)
Shipping instructions give us the details we need to move your shipment.
- ShipCSX: Use the shipping instructions tool to create and manage shipping instructions. Learn more
- ShipCSX Mobile App: Download the Apple or Android mobile App to submit shipping instructions. Learn more
- EDI: Submit shipping instructions using the EDI 404. Learn more
Change or Cancel Shipping Instructions
- ShipCSX: Use ShipCSX shipping instructions to change or cancel active shipping instructions, no matter how you originally transmitted them. It's quick and easy, and you will receive confirmation when a change or cancellation has been successfully submitted. Learn more
- EDI: Correct shipping instructions using the EDI 404 ZC1. Void shipping instructions with EDI 998. Learn more
Request a Diversion or Reconsignment
To change the destination of your shipment, contact our customer service department.
- ShipCSX: Use the ShipCSX Diversions tool to request a diversion. Learn more
- Fax diversions or reconsignment instructions to the Diversion Desk (24/7), at 1-888-336-7623.
- To phone in a diversion, call Customer Service (7 am to 6 pm, Monday - Friday) at 1-877-ShipCSX (1-877-744-7279), options 2-1-7. You also must fax written instructions to the Diversion Desk at 1-888-336-7623.
Return Empty Hazmat Cars to Origin (Hazardous Auto-Reverse Program)
Hazardous material cars – whether full or empty – cannot be moved without shipping instructions.
The Hazardous Auto-Reverse (HAR) Program automatically generates shipping instructions for empty hazmat cars that are returning to their origin. When you submit a pull request for an empty hazmat car, HAR generates empty-return shipping instructions for moving the car. Confirmation is automatically faxed to you.
To participate, review the HAR Authorization (PDF), and send this completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org, (put HAZARDOUS AUTO REVERSE in the subject line), or fax it to 904-332-7144. You will be notified when authorization is complete.
Get Customs and Security assistance with shipments to Canada and Mexico, ensuring that your transborder shipments are secure and delay-free.
Customs and Security
CSX de Mexico