- Submit online via the CSX Property Portal.
- Review Fees (PDF) (updated 04-2021)
- Expedited Application Service
- *Please notify the Engineering Specialists for the territory prior to submittal.
- Expedited Fee: $7,500 (in addition to Engineering Review Fee, License Fees, and other charges)
- Expedited Time Frame: 15 Working Days to provide an Agreement for signatures (as further defined in the Expedited Service Guidelines (PDF)) (updated 2-24-2016)
- Deviations from CSXT’s design and construction specifications cannot be expedited
- Expedited Service does not provide expedited construction and flagging scheduling
- Each application must be approved for expediting. Please do not send in an applications without prior approval. Please notify the Engineering Specialists for the territory in which the utility will be located to determine if your project can be expedited.
- *Projects located on property leased to a shortline are not eligible for the Expedited Service*
- If additional review is needed after design approval and/or agreement preparation, additional fees may apply.
Simple Steps for Expedited Submission
Contact Engineering Specialist first for approval for EACH request.
Complete application and detailed plans
Receive confirmation email
Email application, confirmation email, plans, Engineering Review Fee and Expedited Fee to the Engineer.
Use these instructions as a guide to the application process for a utility encroachment or temporary access to railroad property.
- Safety Requirements
Requirements for working safely on CSX property.
- Permit Information Packet (PDF) (updated 5-11-2020):
Detailed information to guide you through our processes, as well as contact information.
- Specifications for Design and Construction
The safety and integrity of our rail operations are of paramount importance to CSX. Review CSX's design and construction standard specifications (below) prior to designing an encroachment proposal.
- Utility Drawing Guidelines
- Drawing Guidelines (Utility Installations) (PDF) (updated 04/02/2015):
Provides general information relative to completing drawings for CSX to complete a review.
- Sample Drawings (Utility Installations) (PDF) (updated 01/23/2017):
Provides sample drawings identifying information required by CSX to complete a review.
- Blank Canvas Drawings
Provides canvas drawings that can be completed electronically for your use in submitting an application.
* If you have trouble opening these PDFs, from your desktop, right click on the link, and click “Save link as…” or “download.”