Rail is the most economical and efficient way to ship food from coast to coast. Each year more than 90 million tons of food and food products move by rail. Plus, it’s safe for even your most temperature-sensitive products. With our express service in refrigerated box cars, we give fresh and frozen food extra care to maintain the high quality your customers expect.
Advantages of Moving Food by Rail
- An extensive network spanning large production and consumption areas of the United States, plus seamless importing and exporting
- Pricing savings over truck transport
- Visibility into your shipments via online tools
- Service options to fit timing needs, including cross-country express service
- Less impact on the environment
- Reliable equipment and considerate product handling
CSX moves food products including refrigerated and frozen foods, rice, edible beans, peas, lentils, alcoholic beverages, canned goods and tomato products. We have several rail service offerings for shipping food, including many specialized services for perishable products.
You Don’t Need Track to Use Rail
Even if your origination or destination isn’t rail served, there are many options to give you the benefits of rail in your supply chain. Especially for longer haul moves, adding rail as part of your transportation strategy will save you money.
We partner with many warehouses that offer food storage. Learn how using a warehouse helps you transfer from rail to truck or truck to rail.
Additionally, we work with partners in other railroads, intermodal shipping and logistics companies to develop customized solutions.
Find out if rail is right for you. Contact one of our food market managers.