CSX is committed to environmental compliance and strives to protect the environment and the safety and health of the public, customers, and employees in all aspects of the company’s operations. The company works to minimize impacts on the environment and the communities in which it operates through the active implementation of its Environmental Management System. CSX works to maximize the business and its positive impacts by delivering the best service to customers. The company’s decisions and actions are guided by the following principles:
Skilled and Committed Workforce
- Conduct operations safely.
- Ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations, internal policies and best management practices.
- Train and empower employees to fulfill environmental responsibilities and foster communication regarding environmental programs.
Fuel Efficiency and Supply Chain Engagement
- Improve environmental footprint by utilizing state-of-the art technology and pollution prevention efforts to reduce energy, fuel consumption, and waste minimization through comprehensive efficiency, recycling, and reuse initiatives.
- Assist customers in reducing their transportation-related greenhouse gas emissions by promoting highway to rail conversions and continuously seeking to reduce the resources and assets required to move goods.
- Extend environmental stewardship through the supply chain by encouraging suppliers to follow environmentally sustainable practices, engaging in public-private partnerships that promote environmental responsibility and fostering communications with communities and public agencies where the company operates.
Water Management and Conservation
- Recognize water availability concerns and manage water consumption by identifying and implementing water reduction, recycling and reuse measures.
- Ensure the quality of water discharges by implementing best operating practices and enhancements through technology.
Recognize and Respond
- Take immediate action to report and respond to situations that could negatively impact the environment, such as unauthorized dumping, accidental releases or other incidents.
- Maintain broad business continuity and site-specific operating plans to maximize responsiveness to events that could include those resulting from security, operational, or weather emergencies.
Explore and Protect
- Explore and invest in technologies and processes that further benefit the company’s business while reducing its environmental footprint.
- Maintain property and construct facilities in a manner that does not harm local biodiversity and habitat.
- Continuously improve environmental compliance by setting goals, measuring progress, documenting efforts, and communicating results to stakeholders.
CSX also created a Public Safety, Health and Environment (PSH&E) Management System – certified under the requirements of the American Chemistry Council (ACC) Responsible Care initiative and guided by standards set by ISO 14001 – to promote, measure, track and improve compliance and sustainability across operations.