Build, inspect and repair rail cars.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Weld and paint cars and locomotives
- Cut metal, sandblast, replace doors and general car construction
- Inspect car components for compliance with FRA, Association of American Railroads (AAR) and CSX standards
- Identify or analyze defective components and indicate the necessary corrective action
- Inspect the securement of lading in open top or flat cars for compliance with AAR rules and measure high/wide loads to ensure railway line clearance
- Inspect and salvage parts from dismantled and/or scrapped cars
- Inspect and apply end-of-train device and perform airbrake tests
- Clean, lubricate and maintain tie-down devices and other special equipment on railroad cars
- Remove and replace couplers, draft gears and yokes
- Inspect, replace and/or repair gaskets, air hose, train line, bulkhead and other interior load restraining equipment, steel sections such as side sheets, crossbearers, crossties and underframing
- Paint cars and car components; stencil letters and numbers on cars
- Build and/or repair components such as freight doors, wooden floors or interior walls
- Fabricate large jigs and fixtures and use them to assemble parts on car
- Straighten or fabricate, then replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, brackets, steps and patching components
- Operate light and heavy cranes, fork lifts, and other car moving shop equipment
- Operate various vehicles to the job site
- Rerail cars and locomotives by using rerailing equipment and perform other work associated with wreck service on the railroad
- Obtain information from computer regarding car characteristics, destination, lading, and repair records and/or to file data such as repair information, bad orders and car releases
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Mechanical experience
- Blueprint reading
- One or more years of welding and fabrication experience
- Journeyman Carman
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Walking long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots and safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examination
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and on occasion at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 250 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
Check for open positions and apply