Repair and maintain all aspects of rail including frogs, rail-ends, turn-outs, switch points, and glue joints using arc, propane or thermite welding processes. You will begin employment as a track worker for a 60-day probationary period. Upon successful completion of the probationary period, you should bid on the Welder Helper position and are subject to assignment based on collective bargaining agreement requirements.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Perform grinding tasks using power and hand tools
- Inspect all equipment daily to check for leaky cylinders, hoses or connections
- Assist other employees in changing out rail with rail tongs
- Replace rail anchors, drive spikes and tamp ballast as needed
- Clean work pieces to remove impurities, such as slag, rust and grease
- Monitor and maintain flow of gases, light torch and adjust gas mixture and pressure to obtain desired flame when making field welds
- Apply filler rod to molten area to form weld
- Repair or replace broken or cracked rail and build-up rail, trim weld, grind the surface of rail, and grind gauge sides
- Inspect weld after grinding to check for hairline cracks or any visible defects
- Operate propane torches and electric and gas welding equipment
- Operate heavy duty trucks to carry equipment to and from the work site
- Test rail after using the thermite welding procedure to detect voids, lack of fusion or other defects in the rail
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
- High School diploma /GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Welding certification
- Experience in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and/or Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Outside work experience (e.g. construction, heavy equipment operation, farming, landscaping)
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications-both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and trouble shooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may need to be obtained based on job assignment
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as welding shields, hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examination
- Must successfully pass probationary period
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
- Requires frequent revision in work assignments
- Regional travel required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work outside in all weather conditions and on occasion at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 250 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply