Work as a member of a crew to install new railroad track, maintain existing track and right-of-way.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Participate in group discussions including unit meetings, job briefings, safety meetings or process reviews
- Remove and replace track and track components (e.g. ties, rails, bars, etc.)
- Replace or repair track switches with specific components
- Slide and align tie plates
- Drill holes through rails for insertion of bolts and tighten or loosen bolts at joints that hold ends or rails together
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge
- Cut rails to specific lengths
- Receive instructions, requests, orders, and information from posted bulletins, memorandums, rules and regulation manuals
- Adjust, lift and roll rails
- Sort track material for loading and unloading
- Install and repair street and railroad crossings
- Cut brush and vegetation from the right-of-way
- Spray switches, angle bars and joints with oil for lubrication
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
Under Maintenance of Way Collective Bargaining Agreement, Track Workers may be considered for advancement or promotion to other positions within the Engineering Department if qualified.
You will be required to attend paid training as required by your collective bargaining agreement. Please note that training may occur outside of your work location.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Outside work experience (e.g. construction, heavy equipment operation, farming, landscaping)
- Welding experience
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Employees must be able to meet and comply with the manufacturer’s weight limitation safety rating and recommendations for any equipment associated with performing their duties, including the 300 lb. safety rating for ladders (both portable and affixed) and fall arrest equipment
- Heavy work, lifting up to 60 pounds occasionally and up to 85 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as respirator, hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examinations
- Must successfully complete probationary period
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug screen, and pulmonary function test
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Travel required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > Tools, Links & Help > Forms > HR Forms > Contract Employee Transfer Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work outside in all weather conditions and on occasion at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply