Perform electrical inspection, construction, maintenance, and repair activities on power distribution equipment, floodlight towers, power poles, air conditioning units and other fixed facilities.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Ensure compliance with National Electrical Code, National Electrical Safety Code and the Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace (NFPA-70E)
- Install and maintain high and low voltage, overhead and underground wiring and equipment such as: switch heaters, control systems, conduits & cables, cross arms, pole mounted fixtures, transformers & capacitors, outdoor substation apparatus, air systems, fire alarm systems, motors & generators, year/building power & lighting, heating systems, switchboards & meters, battery charging systems, welding machines, and UPS systems
- Install and maintain all classes of exterior/interior wiring for electric, power and roadway lights, including overhead lines, regardless of voltage
- Install and maintain electric systems and navigation lights on bridges
- Inspect equipment before each use
- Handle testing instruments for measuring voltage, current power, insulation resistance, etc
- Work with power companies and other vendors to plan and complete job activities
- Interpret and follow electrical codes, manuals, schematic diagrams, blueprints and other specifications
- Remove and replace defective poles and install conduits and conductors, dig by hand or mechanical means and set poles with the aid of mechanical equipment
- May maneuver fiberglass one-man bucket attached to boom
- Know the locations of cutouts and switches in areas of service in order to shorten power outages
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Ability to obtain Commercial driver's license (CDL) immediately upon being hired
- Licensed electrician and be qualified to perform line work (15KV and below)
- Read and interpret electrical blueprints, schematics, meters, and gauges
- Commercial Driver's License
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications-both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Distinguish color coded wiring
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) must be obtained immediately upon being hired
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examination
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- Work setting requires frequent revision in work assignments
- Must be available to respond to emergency calls after hours, holidays and weekends
- Regional travel required
- This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work outside in all weather conditions with high and low voltage and on occasion in confined spaces and/or at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 250 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply