This position is 100% travel away from home, five days a week, often times in excess of 300 miles. You will work as a member of a team away from home five days a week to install, maintain, replace and repair electrical and electronic communications equipment.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Install, maintain, replace, and check communication equipment including cables, computers, printers, monitors, radios, telephones, modems, wireless components, security cameras, batteries, connectors, various parts and testing equipment.
- Cut, splice, and pull cable on ground, poles and towers
- Use trenching equipment to bury equipment and cables in ground
- Receive and record inventory delivery
- Retrieve parts from inventory to install and maintain equipment
- Transport tools and equipment to jobsite by truck
- Install wiring in offices and field locations
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
You will be required to attend paid training as required by your collective bargaining agreement. Please note that training may occur outside of your work location.
- High School diploma/GED
- Valid Driver's License
- 21 years of age or older
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with Airbrake Endorsement prior to start date
- Ability to obtain and maintain a FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License prior to start date.
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with Airbrake Endorsement
- FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License
- Experience operating heavy equipment
- Two year technical degree or equivalent experience in network management
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and trouble shooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Employees must be able to meet and comply with the manufacturer’s weight limitation safety rating and recommendations for any equipment associated with performing their duties, including the 300 lb. safety rating for ladders (both portable and affixed) and fall arrest equipment
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Climb ladders, poles, and towers as well as perform work from a bucket truck to make repairs and perform tests and installations
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Regional travel required
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hats, hearing protection, safety-toe boots or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examination
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including a drug screen
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > Tools, Links & Help > Forms > HR Forms > Contract Employee Transfer Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
- Must pass a background screening
Work outside in all weather conditions, and on occasion in confined spaces or at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply