Renew and repair any system pertaining to boilers, tanks and drums.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Position, align, and secure structural parts and related assemblies of pressure vessels, such as boilers, tanks and vats; analyze defective units and indicate necessary corrective action
- Inspect, patch, drill, chip, cut, tap, weld, bolt, rivet, screw, clip, caulk, clamp, flange, flue or bond component parts to assemble products
- Lay out, cut apart, build, or repair boilers, tanks and drums
- Lay out and fit up sheet iron or sheet steel work made of 16 gauge or heavier, including fronts and doors, gates and gate rigging, ash pans, front end netting and diaphragm work, engine tender steel underframe, pressed steel tender truck frames and locomotive cabs
- Build, repair, remove and apply steel cabs and running boards
- Locate and mark reference points for columns or plates and positions of parts on foundation
- Interpret blueprints, sketches, or product specifications to determine sequence and methods of fabricating, assembling and installing sheet metal products
- Select gauge and type of sheet metal, or nonmetallic material, according to product specifications
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, to cut, bend, block and form, or straighten materials; trim, file, grind, deburr, buff and smooth surfaces
- Straighten or reshape bent plates or structures
- Assemble and install a variety of metal tubes
- Remove and replace rivets and caulk seams to repair riveted shells and structures
- Cut and shape defective parts, using oxy-acetylene torch
- Operate material handling equipment such as chain hoists and overhead hoists
- Operate electric and gas welding equipment
- Signal crane operator or attach rigging to lift parts to specified position
- Test assembled vessels
- May be required to operate locomotives
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Experience building/repairing boiler and/or tanks
- One or more years of welding experience
- Three years combined welding and boiler/tank repair experience
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Determine condition and temperature of various mechanical components by feeling or touching when working blind
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examination
- May require random drug testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces, and on occasion at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 250 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply