Pipe fit in shops, yards, buildings, tracks, and along right of ways.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Determine reasons for component or product failure by tracing the problem through standardized procedures
- Interpret blueprints, sketches, or product specifications to determine sequence and methods of fabricating, assembling and installing sheet metal products
- Installation of all types of plumbing fixtures (e.g. toilets, urinals, showers, sinks, and other fixtures)
- Installation of switch heaters
- Set up and operate fabricating machines
- Lay out, assemble, install, and maintain pipe systems, pipe support, hoses, and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating and sprinkling systems
- Shape and modify metal material to enable assembly of components
- Install and maintain refrigeration, air conditioning systems and steam and gas heating in shops, rail yards, and offices, including compressors, pumps, meters, hydraulic controls and piping
- Operate material handling equipment, acetylene torches and electric and gas welding equipment
- Repair and maintain other systems including, but not limited to snow melters, smoke pipe testing, compressed air, sand towers, roof, septic & sewer, fueling, washing, pumping, environmental and gas systems
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
You will be required to attend paid training as required by your collective bargaining agreement. Please note that training may occur outside of your work location.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Read shop drawings, plumbing blue prints, plans and schematics
- One or more years of welding experience
- One or more years of plumbing experience
- Four or more years of sheet metal and/or pipe fitting experience
- Licensed plumber
- Verbal comprehension (understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Heavy work, lifting up to 70 pounds occasionally and up to 100 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examination
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug screen
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Regional travel required
- Work requires frequent revision of work assignments
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > Tools, Links & Help > Forms > HR Forms > Contract Employee Transfer Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
- Must pass a background screening
Work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces and/or at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible. CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply