Regional travel required and may require 100% travel away from home.
Assist in the installation, repair and maintenance of various railroad signals and grade crossing protection equipment.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Construct forms and foundations for signal equipment, hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Install signal/communication structures and components
- Lubricate moving parts on mechanical equipment such as switch machines, car retarders and controllers
- Set up barricades to isolate potentially dangerous situations
- Prepare and paint signal equipment
- Inspect, test, repair and maintain communication/signal and electrical equipment
Pay rate information is subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and, if applicable, may vary by location.
- High School diploma/GED
- 21 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- One year experience in interpreting schematics and diagrams
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- One year outside work experience (construction labor, farming, landscaping, etc.)
- One year experience using Volt / Ohm meters
- One year experience interpreting circuit schematics
- One year training or experience in electronics, electrical, or electromechanical
- Verbal comprehension (understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Heavy Work, lifting up to 60 pounds occasionally
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Climb ladders and poles up to at least 40 feet to make repairs, tests and installations
- Walking over uneven terrain and getting on and off equipment
- Equipment restrictions mandate that an incumbent must not exceed the 300 lb equipment capacity limits (including 15 lbs of required tools) to safely perform the job duties
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL) must be obtained immediately upon being hired
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment including hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examination
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Regional travel required and may require 100% travel away from home
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test that entails a 1.5 hour strength and cardiovascular fitness test. You will be required to travel up to 4 hours to testing center at your expense
Work outside in all weather conditions, in confined spaces and/or at elevated heights.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 250 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply