CSX’s Procurement & Supply Chain Management department handles the acquisition, delivery and management of items and services necessary for railroad operations across our system. We manage the procurement of over $5 billion annually, including core items like locomotives, freight cars, rail, ties and fuel as well as a wide range of other products and services. We work closely with suppliers – large and small – to ensure we have the products and services we need to run our railroad and serve CSX’s customers.
Our team also manages the delivery and oversight of materials to the field. This includes managing the locomotive and car parts used by CSX’s Mechanical Department in maintaining those assets as well as the delivery of rail, ties, ballast and other products to our Engineering Department employees responsible for the maintenance of CSX’s 21,000-mile network.
Areas handled by Procurement & Supply Chain Management
- Procurement and Supply Chain-Engineering, Terminals and Facilities: Supports work equipment, train control, ballast, ties, rail, Engineering services, construction material and vehicles, operations support services, consultants and terminals.
- Technology and Corporate Services Procurement: Technology Managed Services, Hardware and Software, corporate services, consultants, administrative suppliers and travel.
- Supplier Quality and Development: Supports supplier development, quality reviews and audits, warranty management, RailMarketplace and long-term strategic initiatives.
- Procurement and Supply Chain-Mechanical, Energy and PTC: Supports locomotive and freight car operations, material handling, inventory management, investment recovery, fuel, utilities and PTC.
- Supply Chain Support: Supports ongoing system applications and file maintenance, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) and web transaction support, customer dispute resolution, process improvement, procurement and travel card.