Supplier Recognition is a tool used to encourage results and reward performance in Procurement & Supply Chain (P&SC) activities within the supply base. Suppliers who are partners with P&SC will be measured not just on their ability to perform their contracted duties, but also by the additional value and productivity they bring beyond the contract in four areas: Innovation, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Customer Service Excellence and Strategic Value.
The P&SC leadership team will evaluate supplier nominations based on the measurement criteria below. Suppliers do not have to meet all criteria; however, they should excel in one of the areas to be selected.
A new product, service or enhancement that provides efficiency, savings, sustainability or reduced waste.
- Customer Service Excellence & Partnership
Suppliers who go "above and beyond" the value of a contract. They invest in customer support and think of CSX needs.
- Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability
Suppliers who invest in the community through Trees for Tracks, Supplier Diversity, waste reduction or internal employee programs.
- Strategic Value
A supplier relationship that provides long-term benefit in Quality, Price or Delivery. Suppliers in this category help sustain CSX material or service needs for the future.
1) The Customer Service Excellence & Partnership award recognizes suppliers who go above and beyond the value of a contract by providing exceptional service, product support and commitment to CSX.
CSX is recognizing TransPar Corporation for the Customer Service Excellence & Partnership Award.
CSX engaged TransPar after being notified by our original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that 25 CSX-owned locomotive turbochargers were no longer in usable condition and should be disposed of as scrap. TransPar personnel dedicated their time and resources to travel to the OEM to further inspect the units. They then made an offer to CSX for the 25 units that consisted of the following:
- TransPar would provide two core turbochargers so CSX could fill existing core requirements with another supplier.
- CSX would receive on reconditioned turbocharger
- TransPar would make 10 other turbochargers available to be rebuilt and sold to CSX at a reduced cost.
- Transpar would handle the cost for all shipping.
Were it not for TransPar’s commitment to customer service and efficiency creation, CSX would have been subject to spending much more for new units.
Our runner-up this year is Danella Rental Systems, which has maintained a high level of customer service, including an on-site representative, despite declining levels of business from CSX.
2) The Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability award recognizes suppliers who partner with CSX to develop more sustainable and transparent operations and processes that consider not only our environmental, social and economic impacts but also the communities we serve.
CSX is recognizing Aetna for the Corporate Social Responsibility & Sustainability award.
In addition to providing innovative benefits and outstanding service to CSX and its employees, Aetna is committed to reducing our carbon footprint through recycling programs, reducing energy use and using sustainable building practices as part of its robust efforts to create a healthier environment. Aetna’s tools and consumer-directed plans have resulted in increased employee engagement, efficient health care, and lower costs. They have also made a significant impact in the community through funding affinity groups that are advancing healthy eating in homes, schools and neighborhoods and were recognized in the 2014 “Civic 50” rankings for the third consecutive year. Additionally, their solar fields in Hartford and Windsor, Conn. have produced 1.74 million kWh of power, equating to 1,200 metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions savings.
Our runner-up this year is Hagemeyer North America, which was critical in providing water to communities in need after a derailment in Maryville, TN.
3) The Innovation award recognizes suppliers who deliver innovative solutions to CSX that enable us to improve the service we provide to our customers and streamline our operations.
CSX is recognizing Lewis Bolt & Nut for the Innovation Award.
Lewis Bolt & Nut has worked with our Structures Engineering group to develop a new innovative design on a bridge fastening system. Once in place, the system has the potential to prevent CSX teams from having to manually reach under bridge ties to fasten the ties to the bridge.
Our runner-up this year is J.L. Patterson & Associates, which has proven to be one of our most valuable general engineering consultants through its value engineering ideas and on-time service to our design engineering teams.