JACKSONVILLE, Fla., June 14, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CSX Corporation (Nasdaq:CSX) today released its sixth annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report, titled “Moving Forward.” The report showcases the many ways in which CSX connects to global megatrends in the evolving economy, and outlines the company’s past performance and future goals in five key areas: business performance and governance, safety and security, employees, environment, and community.
“As we transform into the CSX of Tomorrow, we’re focused on the best safety, service, and people,” said Michael J. Ward, chairman and chief executive officer. “We’re proud of the accomplishments of our teams, the sustainable transportation solutions we provide for our customers, the value proposition of our business for the economy, and our progress on this journey of corporate responsibility.”
Highlights for 2015 include:
- Hiring veterans for 25 percent of the company’s new employees;
- Achieving the company’s first sub-70 full-year operating ratio;
- Starting reconstruction of the Virginia Avenue Tunnel in Washington, D.C. to create clearances for double-stacked containers;
- Spending $132 million with more than 250 diverse and minority suppliers;
- Training and providing resources to more than 7,000 first responders;
- Providing 66 free transportation moves to support communities;
- Receiving the top three industry environmental awards;
- Reaching more than 70 percent completion of a goal to plant 42,000 “Trees for Tracks”; and
- Logging nearly 22,000 employee volunteer hours.
The report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The direction of the report was informed by the topics raised through the company’s materiality assessment with internal and external stakeholders.
Additionally, CSX was recently recognized with 2016 awards for sustainable and responsible operations. Newsweek Green Rankings again listed CSX as one of its Top Green Companies, coming in at #40 in the U.S. CSX was also named one of IDG Computerworld’s Best Places to Work in IT for the fourth consecutive year.
To download CSX’s 2015 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, please visit www.csx.com/responsibility.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For more than 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and small farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/OfficialCSX) and follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/CSX).