Code of Ethics (PDF)
The Right Way: How You Get There Matters
CSX Code of Ethics
A Message from Our Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Dear CSX Colleague,
Ours is a company built on trust. Customers trust us to deliver freight that’s vital to their success. Communities trust us to operate safely and protect the environment. Shareholders trust us to conduct ourselves with integrity and produce a return on their investment. And you, as a valued CSX employee, must be able to trust in the honesty and good judgment of your colleagues.
This foundation of trust that underpins all of our company’s activities is the reason the CSX Code of Ethics (“Code”) is a “must read” for every CSX employee. Ethical behavior is essential for the bond of trust to remain strong between all of the stakeholders who are vital to our company’s success.
As you read the Code and practice its principles, I want you to keep in mind that trust is a two-way street. While it’s important that CSX can count on you to come forward if you suspect an ethical violation, it’s also imperative that you be able to make a report without fear of negative consequences. Our company explicitly prohibits retaliation against anyone who makes a good-faith report about a known or suspected violation of our Code. We have assigned people and resources to answer your questions or concerns, so please use them.
CSX is a company where People Make the Difference, and you are an important part of our success. By incorporating our Core Values into your daily activities, you contribute significantly to CSX’s value as an employer and a responsible corporate citizen. Thank you for your ongoing commitment to upholding our high ethical standards and participating in the continued success of this great company.
Michael J. Ward
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Back to Top
To be the safest, most progressive North American railroad, relentless in the pursuit of customer and employee excellence.
To capitalize on the efficiency of rail transportation to serve America.
Our Core Values:
- It Starts with the Customer
- Reliable service is our key to growth.
- Grow by understanding and meeting needs.
- Become easier to do business with.
- Own their problems – win their business.
- People Make the Difference
- Every employee engaged and adding value.
- Emphasis on professional and personal growth.
- Expect a lot – have fun – celebrate success.
- Treat each other with respect and dignity.
- Safety is a Way of Life
- Live safely for your family.
- Take time to be safe.
- Look out for each other.
- Safety affects customers.
- Use customer-based performance measures.
- Fix the problem, not its symptoms.
- Improve performance with facts.
- Validate – don’t speculate.
- Right Results, Right Way
- Reward our shareholders.
- Be a positive influence on communities and the environment.
- How you get there matters.
- Avoid fault-fixing.
Want to learn more? Visit the Employee Gateway or www.csx.com.
Meeting Our Responsibilities – Applying Our Core Values
Our Responsibilities to One Another
Our Responsibilities to Our Business Partners
Our Responsibilities to Protect Information and Assets
Our Responsibilities to Comply with the Law
Our Responsibilities to Our Neighbors