Direct and coordinate the safe movement of railroad traffic on a specified territory from a central and/or regional location.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules, procedures, and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Direct and coordinate railroad traffic, issue permits and authorities, monitor all rail movements and maintain computerized records of all activities
- Know assigned territory and keep informed of changes in the physical characteristics
- Maintain familiarity with scheduled trains, destinations, times of arrivals and departures
- Communicate with personnel on weather or any environmental conditions affecting train movement
- Coordinate movement of trains according to operating plan and customer needs
- Monitor train and track movements
- Remotely control track switches and traffic signals and apply and remove blocking devices
- Report alleged violations of operating rules and any irregularity relating to the movement of trains.
- Plan in advance for smooth and effective movement of priority trains, trains containing hazardous material or restricted shipments, and meets/passes to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Coordinate track usage with Engineering Department personnel.
Training pay rate varies by location and collective bargaining agreement. Once qualified as a train dispatcher, pay rate is subject to ATDA progression rate.
You will attend 10 weeks of training at the Railroad Education & Development Institute in Atlanta, GA. CSX will pay for travel, lodging and meals as required by collective bargaining agreement. You will complete an additional 18 weeks of on-the-job training at your assigned location.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Type 25 average net words per minute
- Computer literate
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience with specialized computer dispatching equipment
- Experience as an air traffic controller, radio/tower operator
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications-both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Ability to communicate clearly by radio, intercom and telephone
- Ability to analyze and prioritize multiple tasks
- Basic math
- Sedentary - No lifting over 10 pounds
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity and ability to recognize colors
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime and various shift work
- Complete annual training and pass safety operating rules examinations
- Complete a seven day train ride covering assigned territory
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post offer medical examination, including drug test and physical capabilities test
- Available to report to work with two-hour advance notice
- Work sitting for long periods of time
- Meals eaten while working; infrequent breaks
- Work tracking train and track movement on multiple mediums in fast-pace environment
- Requires frequent revision in work assignments
- This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form.
Work indoors in an office environment.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. The candidate selected for this position must successfully complete a full physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.
Check for open positions and apply