Clerk – Purchasing and Materials
Receive, maintain, and disburse inventory.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Receive, store, stock, maintain and distribute inventory
- Operate material handling equipment and forklift
- Complete various rail office duties including manual and electronic data processing
Entry Rate $132.59/day*
Full Rate $162.49/day*
*varies by location/assignment
- High School Diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Type 35 average net words per minute
- Proficient in MS Office
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Medium work, ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Climb ladders
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Complete annual safety testing requirements
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug and physical capabilities test
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Active employees must complete one year in current position or craft before applying for positions
- An active or furloughed employee who changes to a new craft may be required to permanently relinquish his/her seniority in the former craft unless otherwise provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or other governing agreement. Active employees desiring to transfer or change crafts must bring a transfer form properly completed and signed by a supervisor to the hiring session. This form along with the transfer policy can be accessed at CSX Gateway > My Work > Careers > Contract Employee Transfer Policy and Form. Furloughed employees do not need to complete the transfer form
Work in a warehouse environment.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities.
This is a safety sensitive position. All candidates' safety records will be reviewed and considered when evaluating the candidate pool.
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods.
CSX Transportation is the largest company in the CSX family employing 34,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that supports diversity in the workplace.