CSX in South Carolina
CSX Operations in South Carolina
- Operates and maintains nearly 1,800 miles of track*
- Maintains more than 3,100 public and private grade crossings
- Handled more than 924,000 carloads of freight on the state’s rail network
- At the end of 2013, CSX employed more than 1,000 people
- Throughout 2013, CSX reported more than $88.1 million in compensation for employees**
- In 2013, CSX invested more than $60.7 million in its South Carolina network. In addition, the company invested more
than $578 million in freight cars and other rolling assets to serve customers through its rail system.
- CSX carries a variety of commodities important to our economy and way of life, including consumer products,
automobiles, food and agriculture products, coal and chemicals. Major commodities produced or consumed within the state include containerized consumer goods, coal, iron and steel scrap, textile chemicals and plastics.
CSX Facilities in South Carolina
- Major rail yards in Charleston and Florence
- Intermodal terminal in Charleston
- TRANSFLO terminals in Charleston, Greenville (two), and Spartanburg
- Automotive distribution center in West Columbia (Dixiana)
- LEED® certified building in Florence
- Dispatch center in Florence
- Division headquarters in Florence
CSX and the South Carolina Community
- In partnership with state and local economic development agencies, businesses invested more than $6.7 million in new or expanded rail-served facilities on CSX or its connecting regional and short lines in 2013. These investments will generate more new jobs at those businesses.
- CSX has designated White Hawk Commerce Park in Florence as a “Select Site,” a rail-served, ready-to-build location for industrial development and expansion. The “Select Site” program is part of CSX’s network-wide economic development initiative.
- CSX is a team sponsor of the Columbia City Year site. Through its partnership with City Year, CSX brings its emphasis on safety and excellence to directly impact communities across the country.
- In 2013, CSX contributed nearly $270,000 to organizations in South Carolina, including University of South Carolina Educational Foundation, South Carolina Operation Lifesaver and Lowcountry Food Bank.
* Miles of track includes single main track, other main track, yard tracks and sidings as of December 31, 2013.
** This figure includes current and former employees.
Printable version (PDF)