CSX in Florida
Florida isn’t just the home of sunshine, seashells, gators and grapefruit. We call Florida home, too. In fact, our corporate offices have been located here since 2003. Some of our largest operations centers and rail yards reside here, and nearly 4,900 CSX employees work, live and soak up fun in the warm Florida sun. At CSX, we value our strong, longtime partnerships with our fellow Floridian businesses and communities. And we look forward to continuing to strengthen our commitment and services to our customers and the neighborhoods that share our passion for the Sunshine State. Below we outline our presence and promises to the state of Florida. For more information about these facts, please click here.
CSX Operations in Florida
- Operates and maintains more than 2,800 miles of track*
- Maintains more than 5,600 public and private grade crossings
- Handled more than 1.1 million carloads of freight on the state’s rail network
- At the end of 2013, CSX employed more than 5,000 people
- Throughout 2013, CSX reported more than $557 million in compensation for employees**
- In 2013, CSX invested more than $210 million in its Florida network. In addition, the company invested more than $578 million in freight cars and other rolling assets to serve customers through its rail system.
- CSX carries a variety of commodities important to our economy and way of life, including consumer products, automobiles, food and agriculture products, chemicals and energy products. Major commodities produced or consumed within the state include containerized consumer goods, phosphates, coal, aggregates and light trucks.
CSX Facilities in Florida
- Corporate headquarters in Jacksonville
- Major rail yards in Jacksonville (Moncrief), Tampa and Orlando
- Intermodal terminals in Jacksonville, Tampa and Winter Haven***
- TRANSFLO terminals in Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Sanford and Tampa
- Automotive distribution centers in Jacksonville (Blount Island, Talleyrand and Westside), Orlando, Jupiter (Palm Center) and Tampa
CSX and the Florida Community
In partnership with state and local economic development agencies in Florida, businesses invested nearly $25.2 million in new or expanded rail-served facilities on CSX or its connecting regional and short lines in 2013. These investments will generate more than 130 new jobs at those businesses.
CSX sponsored multiple City Year service days in Jacksonville, Orlando and Polk County. In addition, CSX is a founding sponsor of City Year Miami, City Year Orlando and City Year Jacksonville.
In 2013, CSX contributed nearly $3.7 million to organizations in Florida, including Habitat for Humanity, Dignity-U-Wear Foundation, United Way, Florida Operation Lifesaver and the American Red Cross.
- SunRail, the commuter rail system in Central Florida, operates along 61 miles of the A-Line. CSX sold this segment of track to the State of Florida; however, CSX retains the ability to make freight movements during designated windows of operations to serve customers along the corridor. CSX invested its entire proceeds from the SunRail transaction – $432 million – in freight infrastructure within the state of Florida.
- In Florida, CSX serves 12 ports, including the Everglades, Fernandina Beach, Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Miami, Palm Beach, Fort Pierce, Panama City, Pensacola, Port Manatee, Port St Joe, and Tampa.
* Miles of track includes single main track, other main track, yard tracks and sidings as of December 31, 2013.
** This figure includes current and former employees.
*** The Central Florida Intermodal Logistics Center (CFILC) in Winter Haven is owned by the Evansville Western Railway (EVWR). CSX has contracted with EVWR to provide intermodal terminal services at the CFILC.
Printable version (PDF)