CSX in Florida
Florida isn’t just the home of sunshine, seashells, gators and grapefruit. We call Florida home, too. In fact, our corporate offices have been located here since 2003. Some of our largest operations centers and rail yards reside here, and nearly 4,900 CSX employees work, live and soak up fun in the warm Florida sun. At CSX, we value our strong, longtime partnerships with our fellow Floridian businesses and communities. And we look forward to continuing to strengthen our commitment and services to our customers and the neighborhoods that share our passion for the Sunshine State. Below we outline our presence and promises to the state of Florida. For more information about these facts, please click here.
CSX Operations in Florida
- Operates and maintains more than 2,800 miles of track*
- Maintains nearly 6,840 public and private grade crossings
- Handled nearly 1.1 million carloads of freight during 2012
- At the end of 2012, CSX employed more than 4,900 people
- Throughout 2012, CSX reported nearly $658 million in compensation for employees**
- In 2012, CSX invested more than $142 million in its Florida network. In addition, the company invested more than $864 million in freight cars and other rolling assets to serve customers through its rail system.
- CSX carries a variety of commodities important to our economy and way of life, including consumer products, automobiles, food and agriculture products, coal and chemicals. Products shipped in Florida include containerized consumer goods, phosphates, aggregates, passenger vehicles and packaging paper.
CSX Facilities in Florida
- Corporate headquarters in Jacksonville
- Major rail yards in Jacksonville (Moncrief), Tampa and Orlando
- Intermodal terminals in Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa
- TRANSFLO terminals in Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Sanford and Tampa
- Automotive distribution centers in Jacksonville (Blount Island, Talleyrand and Westside), Orlando, Jupiter (Palm Center) and Tampa
CSX and the Florida Community
In partnership with state and local economic development agencies in Florida, businesses invested nearly $145 million in new or expanded rail-served facilities on CSX or its connecting regional and short lines in 2012. These investments will generate more than 270 new jobs at those businesses.
CSX sponsored multiple City Year service days in Jacksonville and Tampa. Through its partnership with City Year, CSX brings its emphasis on safety and excellence to directly impact communities across the country.
In 2012, CSX contributed $3.7 million to national organizations and those in Florida, including Dignity U Wear, United Way of NE Florida and the American Red Cross NE Florida
- SunRail, the planned commuter rail system in Central Florida, will run 61 miles along the A-Line. CSX sold this segment of track to the State of Florida; however, CSX retains the ability to make limited freight movements to serve customers along the corridor. CSX will invest its entire proceeds from the SunRail transaction – $432 million – in freight infrastructure within the state of Florida.
- In Florida, CSX serves 12 ports, including the Everglades, Fernandina Beach, Fort Myers, Jacksonville, Miami, Palm Beach, Fort Pierce, Panama City, Pensacola, Port Manatee, Port St Joe, and Tampa.
* Miles of track includes single main track, other main track, yard tracks and sidings as of December 31, 2012.
** This figure includes current and former employees.
Printable version (PDF)